Check out how these four pieces of shipping data can help you make better-informed shipping decisions
Too often players in the shipping industry forget the power parcel analytics can bring to their supply chain operations. Shipping data and the analysis of shipping spend, volume and traffic, for example, can provide useful analytics to make faster and better-informed shipping business decisions in order to improve bottom-line savings and end-customer satisfaction.
Below are some key insights that shipping data and analysis can provide to your supply chain to help improve process quality and performance.
1. Historical Data: You can’t know where you’re going unless you know where you’ve been.
Having a sound understanding of your past shipping operations as it relates to spend, volume, and destinations can help shape your shipping strategy for the future. Being able to analyze your shipping data by specific carrier or carrier service, for example, can help pinpoint any inefficiencies and allows you to make corrective actions to your shipping policies.
Whether you ship from a distribution center, direct from a retail store, or drop-ship from a manufacturer, understanding shipment traffic as it relates to shipping origin and destination can help highlight areas where you may want to alter your operations. Understanding shipping volume based on certain geographies can start to demonstrate where one distribution outlet may not be as cost-effective as another. For instance, being able to visually compare distribution outlets based on parcel destination will help ensure they are shipping to the most cost-effective locations. This can also positively affect delivery expectations that come from your customers.
3. Extra Charges and Fees: Understand where you’re spending unnecessary budget.
Gaining a complete picture of your total shipping charges including accessorial fees can help you understand whether you need to budget differently or possibly change your operations to keep these additional fees at bay. With easy access to the total accessorial charges for a certain timeframe or what percent of accessorial charges attribute to your total shipping spend, you can evaluate if these fees are within reason or not and adjust accordingly.
4. Tracking Data: Excel customer service and boost the customer experience.
Tracking data is paramount for your front-line customer service team to be able to quickly and easily address customer inquiries and issues stemming from deliveries. End-customers’ heightened expectations on delivery timeframes can create customer satisfaction issues if not addressed effectively. With this data, you can set proper expectations and build better customer rapport.
Just having the data is not enough.
Deciding which tool to use is half the battle. The problem is that many of the shipping and analytics tools out there have gaps in functionality, look cluttered and/or require extensive IT resources for access. With that in mind, here are some things to consider when choosing and implementing a shipping analytics and reporting tool:
- Who in the organization has access to certain data? Do you need certain permissions for users to access some of the business sensitive data?
- How much manipulation is needed of the raw data? Is the data easily customizable if you want to drill down on certain points for comparisons or to understand root cause to an issue?
- How are you going to want to visualize your data? Are you needing a dashboard for a quick pulse on your operations?
- Are you going to need custom reports for unique views of your business?
- How are you going to distribute this information? What is the best way to share the data?
- Do you have to rely on IT departments to get this data or do you need a tool that is friendly for business users?
A current and accurate picture of your shipping operations can make the difference in how you run your business. This type of knowledge at your fingertips allows you to make faster and more informed shipping decisions that will positively affect your bottom line and ultimately improve end-customer satisfaction.
You don’t need IT or analyst help. You’re a strong, independent logistics professional.
Introducing ProShip Insights
Seize the data!
Accessible shipping data empowering everyone.
ProShip Insights gives you the access and flexibility to oversee data and customize reports, allowing you to make faster and better-informed shipping decisions to improve end-customer satisfaction. [Learn More]